What makes you happy?  

Posted by mindyluwho in ,

I’m not a mall shopper. In my younger days I was, but now I avoid it (except when I am craving See’s candy). However, I do have a few department and specialty stores that I particularly like. The other day I was driving home from an appointment and my route took me past my favorite shopping center. Some of the stores include Marshalls, Michaels, Old Navy, Bath and Body Works, and Barnes & Noble. As I passed by them I felt the familiar giddy excitement welling up in me and I fought the desire to turn in and shop. I love browsing through Marshalls housewares department looking for the latest kitchen gadget or fun decorative items to display around my house. A new set of dishes makes me very happy. I also love to ramble through Barnes & Noble; I usually find three or four books to add to my ever expanding book collection. My husband is into political books, but I like anything Jane Austenish. I also love reading young adult literature. Oh yes, books make me happy. And then there’s Michaels…now there’s a store I can spend a lot of time in. They have oh so many things to help feed the creative genius within me; scrapbooking, jewelry crafting, yarn, silk flowers, etc. The only thing they lack is a fabric center. I have to go to JoAnn’s for that. Yep, sewing and crafting makes me happy. Oh, yes and Old Navy where you can come out with two huge shopping bags for under $100.00. They have such good deals at Old Navy. Seeing my kids dressed in the latest fashion at such a good bargain makes me happy. And let us not neglect Bath & Body Works. The smell alone pulls you into that store. I love their body wash, lotion and bath splash. Goodness, you can get them in so many different fragrances. I especially love the Sweetpea fragrance. Taking a nice hot shower and then pampering myself with their lotion makes me happy.

Bel boweth down, Nebo stoopeth, their idols were upon the beasts, and upon the cattle: your carriages were heavy loaden; they are a burden to the weary beast. They stoop, they bow down together, they could not deliver the burden, but themselves are gone into captivity.*

Oh, I know that scripture. I just studied it. Bel and Nebo are some idols of the Israelites. I think they were made of metal or something very heavy. I think it slowed the Israelites down when they were carrying them and they were taken into captivity…but wait, what does that have to do with what makes me happy? I don’t have any idols. Well anyway, where was I…oh yes…

...I was good however and resisted the urge to turn in. I drove home instead. When I got there my daughter reminded me that I needed to order a couple of books she needed for her Japanese class. I turned on my laptop and went to Amazon.com. I looked over the list of books in my shopping cart. Yep, there were her books…along with a few others that I had heard were must reads and a couple more that I found while browsing around their site, and did you know that you can buy so much more from Amazon.com than books? Yessiree Bob, I found a case for my Blackberry and a couple of games as well. I proceeded to the check out and with a few clicks of the mouse my order was complete. I would be getting some packages in the mail in just a few days, I love getting packages in the mail... it’s almost like Christmas!! Did I mention that books make me happy?

They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god: they fall down, yea, they worship.*

What…huh?...what does money have to do with this? And what’s this about a god? Do you mean like a false god? Like idol worship? Oh, yeah, those Israelites, they paid a lot of money for their gods, they even made them out of gold. Can you imagine? I don’t get it. But wait, this is a post about what makes me happy, what does it have to do with idol worship? Try not to interrupt me again…

ANYWAY…So after I was done ordering the books I took a look around the house. It was a bit messy. Well maybe a little more than a bit. O.K., I tell you, I cannot get out from under the housework, it seems all I do is clean house. Dusting around all those knick knacks takes a lot of time! And laundry…hoo boy, I have laundry piles in every room, that’s a never ending task. And then there’s the constant shuffling of books; they are all over the place, in baskets on the floor, on the coffee tables, stacked in corners of the room. I need more bookshelves.

They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place… *

Oh that's the best part. Those foolish Israelites, they carried their god all over the place with them. That must have been a lot of fun, carting him all over the place when they moved, because you know, they moved a lot, but I digress, I was talking about what makes me happy…

After looking about a bit, I decided I needed a little pick me up before I got started picking up so I headed to my sewing/craft room. I moved a couple of projects off the desk so I could have some space to sew. I opened the closet door so that I could get the quilt I started a couple of years ago. After moving a stack of material and some crafting supplies I finally located it, however by the time I got done rearranging things I noticed the clock said 5:00…oops, time to start dinner. I went to the kitchen and started looking for the sauce pan I needed to fry up the hamburger. After moving several pots and pans out of my way I finally found the one I like to use best. Then I had to find a spatula to stir the meat with. I tried to open the utensil drawer, but it was stuck, I guess it was a little to full….dang it, I broke a nail trying to get the drawer open and I had just painted my nails too. Oh, why does life have to be so hard? Sometimes I get so depressed and weary trying to keep up with my life. I feel like a slave in my own home constantly moving the clutter around. If I could just get my home organized I would be happy.

...wait a minute. Did I just insinuate that I am not happy? Because this is a post about what makes me happy.

and he standeth… yea, one shall cry unto him, yet can he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble. *

...yeah I know, when the Israelites were unhappy they cried to their god, but it couldn't answer, because it was just metal after all, just another thing sitting around cluttering up their...ummm...cluttering up their, uh...space.

I think I’m getting the hint...

but you know what would really make me happy right now? A nice hot shower and then some soothing lotion...

*Isaiah 46

This entry was posted on Feb 7, 2008 at Thursday, February 07, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

12 said...

It's all about the application, right!!! Or as President Eyring was talking about what President Hinckley said to him getting the people to take it from their heads to their hearts.

Great job. Thank you.

February 8, 2008 at 3:16 AM

That was such a GREAT post, Mindy! You got into my head and my heart;)

Oh, and just a little BTW...you blogging makes me happy:D

February 8, 2008 at 5:51 AM

very insightful. i can really relate. thanks for helping me apply isaiah--i need all the help i can get with that guy!;)

February 8, 2008 at 7:40 AM

That. Was. Awesome.

I needed that. Thanks.

February 8, 2008 at 8:43 AM

This is, seriously, one of the best posts I have EVER read. Thank you.

By the way, like PJ, reading your posts makes me happy!

Oh, and I also love Jane Austen and YA fiction. I've been perusing the library fantasy shelves. That way they don't clutter up my home for more than two weeks.

I used to go shopping at discount stores, and they make me happy. Until I realized that we were out of money all the time. Strict budgeting is hard, but I'm starting to see the results.

February 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM

I have an award for you at my blog.

February 8, 2008 at 10:36 AM

False idols, huh? Are you trying to give me a hint?

By the way, I'm still waiting to get your text.

Oh, I get it now.

February 8, 2008 at 1:39 PM

I love anything Jane Austenish...and young adult stuff such as Twilight!

We all need to watch out so that we don't place too much importance on false gods that take too much of our time or attention...blogging comes to mind, tee hee! ;)

February 8, 2008 at 10:30 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
February 11, 2008 at 7:36 AM

Wow. That really makes me think a little bit. Well, a lot.
Thanks, Mindy!

February 11, 2008 at 2:59 PM

Wow! This has been the best post I have ever read! I have always been intimidated by Isaiah but you just made it seem so simple. I want to go read more. You should write a book called "Isaiah for Idiots".

Thanks for the simple reminder of how we become of the world and take up false idols so easily. I know with my collection of "STUFF" I should be careful.

February 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM

You rock my world! I am lucky to have such a smart big sister...thanks for the reminder.

February 13, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Post a Comment