Be Still and Know That I am God  

Posted by mindyluwho in ,

I'm so glad today is over.

My girls and I all take piano from the most fabulous teacher. Everytime after our lesson I tell my girls, "When I grow up I want to be just like Sister____________. She is very encouraging and positive even when she is critiquing your work. And she's always smiling. I love people who always smile.

Anyway, back to why I'm glad this day is over. Today was our piano recital. I was playing two pieces, one by myself and one as a duet with my eldest daughter. I had practiced and practiced my own piece, but there were two parts that every single time I played them, I messed up. I would go back and work on just those parts over and over and over again, only to come back and mess up. The other struggle was that my daughter was at EFY all last week, so we were not able to practice our duet together until this morning! Let's talk about stress here...no, let's not!

I prayed, we prayed, my husband gave us blessings. We perservered and improved. Before the recital I said another prayer and asked that our minds would be quickened and our hands able to remember the notes, but I forgot to ask for one specific thing.............I forgot to ask that my hands not shake.

They shook.

So much so that EVERYONE noticed, and EVERYONE commented on it afterward.

I played my solo piece first and was so devastated with my shaking hands that I was unsure if I would be able to perform the duet with my daughter. So I prayed and as I was praying I remembered something I had read recently. It was from the 23 Psalm..."He leadeth me beside the still waters." I asked that my hands be made still and the words that came into my mind were, "Be still and know that I am God."

Our turn came and even though we made a few mistakes, my hands were calm.

I love it when the Lord answers right away.

But I'm still glad this day is over!

This entry was posted on Jun 8, 2008 at Sunday, June 08, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 said...

It is so nice isn't it when our prayers are answered right when we need them to be. I'm glad the Lord's time was the same as your time in this case. :-) I bet you did a wonderful job. I could sit and listen to piano music all day. It is just beautiful.

I'm glad your daughter was able to attend EFY. I look forward to sending my children when they are older.

June 9, 2008 at 8:31 AM

I think I like you...
That was just awesome. Thanks. I read your comment on Kims blog and had to see who you were. Thanks for the wonderful Be still reminder. That was the scripture the Lord gave me through my husbands baptism. It means alot to me too..

June 9, 2008 at 2:46 PM

Oh I can so identify. I have been taking piano for years and every time I play in front of people my hands shake so bad.

I'm so grateful the Lord hears and answers our prayers.

June 10, 2008 at 6:50 AM

you are so inspiring. i hate playing in front of people. my hands always turn ice cold. i love that you pushed yourself so hard to do something very uncomfortable--that's the best way to grow. and you relied on the lord to help you overcome your fears. thanks for your example--always.

June 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Post a Comment